Sunday, November 8, 2009

the paradox...

Denial, bargaining, anger, and despair – I am not sure what I’m going through but for sure all the stages prescribed by the experts…
So why?
Well….
India doesn’t face the same problem, as China in that sense that you actually have the possibility to express your opposition without being jailed. Still though one could see how suffocating the demands of family and friend ties could be, with several distant cousins often asking and begging for favors and family members always coming unannounced.

You actually do not understand how Swedish you are until you actually visit, feel and see a different country like India. I realize how free I am and how much I cherish that freedom and understand our liberty in a more positive sense, in the idea that opportunity and the subsidiary values helps us realize opportunities – all those values that we take for granted. Like self-improvement, self-reliance, risk-taking, drive, discipline, temperance, hard work, thrift and personal responsibility; all those values are embedded in basic optimism about life and in free will. These values to some extent, has the power for men and women to pursue their own interests, which will prosper society.
Furthermore, the legitimacy of government, free market, equal opportunities and non-discrimination makes us stronger and less vulnerable to evil, which other less democratic countries lack.
In this context I know that India is of course the largest democracy but far from a well-working one. Corruption is broad which constrain India’s economic growth and accountability and that is just one among several other issues India is facing.

I think it is vital to value good manners. When I meet somebody who looks me in the eyes, speaks loud and clear and who says ‘thank you’ or ‘excuse me’ makes me feel happy, satisfied and more hopeful. I have no power to legislate good manners but I will be an advocate and encourage good manners whenever I am addressing a group of youngsters.

Some of these issues mentioned above are some that I confront down in India. People not saying ‘thank you’ nor ‘please’ or people eating and speaking with their mouth full. These are manners I am grown up with; and do realise are quite important. I am searching for a more civilized culture I believe…
India is a great experience and country, but, still I am from Sweden and it will indeed be nice for a break during Christmas for 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment